Back in August, I wrote a post that turned out to be very popular and got some good response titled “Dear Developers, Here’s Some Advice for Your Career.”
Because of that response, I decided to take those core ideas and expand on it and put it into ebook form. Today, I’m excited to announce that I’ve finalizing it, gotten some great help with a cover and layout and am releasing it today. (And I’d love it if you’d share it with your networks and friends!)
As I have said previously, if software is eating the world, and I believe it is, we — the businesses and startups focused on creating that software — need good, solid, dependable, knowledge, collaborative developers and more of you.
With this book, I want to help developers connect and adapt so that you can thrive in our startups and organizations, so that together, we can build software that changes the world.
In a nutshell, here are the 10 essential keys to having a great career as a developer:
- Build Your Portfolio of Cool Projects That Work
- Get involved and contribute to an open source project.
- Remember, always & forever: It’s all about people.
- Good communication skills are almost as valuable and important as programming.
- Park your arrogance at the door.
- Get out from behind a computer screen and meet people.
- Make sure you power down regularly.
- Always, always, always be learning and exploring.
- Pass it on.