One of my most valued tools that I use most for my business is Instant Messagging with clients.
Here are 10 reasons why I love instant messaging for business ….
1. It saves time. Clients don’t have to be dedicated to a phone. They can chime in when they need me and vice versa.
2. It gives me a transcript to review. GTalk stores my chat transcripts for me and is easily searchable inside Gmail. This has been a tremendous help to me as I’ve forgotten details of a project when juggling multiple clients.
3. I can put up a ‘Gone Fishing’ sign when I need to focus. Although I can keep my chat client live all day, I can also tell people what I’m doing. One design friend of mine gives almost Twitter-like details in his status line.
4. I prefer typing to writing. I’m a fast typer. And, as an introvert, phone calls sometimes drain me.
5. I can juggling multiple tasks in a single bound. Like a Superman multi-tasker, I can continue my other projects while waiting for the orange alert tab to flash.
6. It makes connecting with people fast. I don’t have to wait for a scheduled phone call or time. I can simply invite them to chat with a mouse click and start chatting.
7. Now I can do group chats. Brainstorming just attracted a crowd now!
8. I don’t have to have any software installed. Gmail now has IM embedded in the sidebar, so if I’m on the road or at another computer, I can still do chat by logging into my email.
9. I can block and remove those who think my time is free. One of the only downfalls is some people will abuse your time through it. Although I don’t like to block or remove people, it can be done.
10. Clients feel they’re connected to you. Overcommunication, I’ve found, is a good thing when working with clients. With chat, and without them seeing me, they know I’m reachable.